Car assembly plants often use robots exclusively for spot welding and painting, but there are many other opportunities to use robots throughout the automotive supply chain.
Automotive Robotics Applications
There are thousands of parts in every car and truck, and it takes myriad manufacturing processes to make them. Advances in automotive robotics technology, such as vision systems and force sensing, mean more of these than ever are suitable for robotic automation. Here are some of the best-suited application areas:
- WELDING – Large robots with high payload capabilities and long reach can spot weld car body panels; while smaller robots weld subassemblies such as brackets and mounts. Robotic MIG and TIG arc welding position the torch in the same orientation on every cycle, and repeatable speed and arc gap ensure every fabrication is welded to the same high standard.
- ASSEMBLY – Tasks such as screw driving, windshield installation and wheel mounting are all candidates for robotic arms in car manufacturing plants. In many automotive part plants, robots — for example, the high-speed “Delta” machines — are assembling smaller component assemblies such as pumps and motors.
- MACHINE TENDING – Unloading hot moldings from an injection molding or die casting machine, and loading and unloading CNC machining centers are all good examples of robots tending production machines.
- MATERIAL REMOVAL – Because it can follow a complex path repeatedly, a robot is an ideal tool for light trimming and cutting tasks. Examples include cutting fabrics such as headliners, trimming flash from plastic moldings and die castings, and polishing molds. Force-sensing technology lets the robot maintain constant pressure against a surface in applications like these.
- PART TRANSFER – Pouring molten metal in a foundry and transferring a metal stamp from one press to the next are unpleasant jobs for human workers, but they’re ideal robot tasks.
Whether you’re in automotive manufacturing or another industry, Acieta’s robotic automation solutions can help your business, identify opportunities and support you through every step of your project. Get started by contacting us today.